With a batch of chili stewing in my slow cooker right now, I thought I would share with you my absolute favourite, go-to chili recipe. Even with children invading your kitchen, you will find this super easy to make, and on these cold winter nights, a warm bowl of chili soothes the grumpiest of people!
Confession: Growing up a daughter of Polish parents who had just immigrated to Canada, I only ate chili on a very rare occasion, and it came out of a can! In my twenties when I was learning to cook, Jay & I experimented with a ton of recipes before we struck gold. We’ve tried vegetarian, turkey, chicken, beef – all types of recipes, but when I found this one a few years ago, it just stuck.
It uses a chili seasoning mix that you make yourself by mixing basic spices that you most likely already have. I also find this recipe very versatile because I change the recipe a bit each time I make it, and it always comes out perfectly delicious.
The secret to this recipe is the can of red kidney beans that is completely blended/processed until smooth. It adds a richness and thickness to the stew that I love.
You can easily make substitutions by switching up the meat (or forgoing it completely), adding in vegetables like celery, carrots, mushrooms – whatever you wish! I also sometimes add in different beans – whatever I have lying around. You can also add more of the seasoning mix if you like it more spicy!
Below is the basic recipe that I had written down on a piece of paper forever! Feel free to add your favourite items to it as you wish!
I love serving it with an array of garnishes so you can help yourself to whatever you like. My favourite garnishes: grated cheese, sour cream, green onion/chives, cilantro, limes, avocado, breadsticks, crackers, buns, hot sauce – just to name a few! I hope you enjoy the recipe and let me know how you like it!
PS. I recently came across an “award-winning” chili recipe, and their secret ingredient was to add 2 tablespoons of cream cheese to the chili. It apparently adds a richness to it – I haven’t tried it yet but will in the future!
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2½ tsp ground coriander
- 2½ tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (add more for required heat)
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- ½ onion, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans
- Mix together seasoning mix and store in an airtight jar. (You will only use 3-4 tsp in this recipe.)
- In a skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink, then drain.
- Add onion and 3 tsp of seasoning mix.
- In the slow cooker, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, one can of beans, and two more teaspoons of seasoning mix.
- Place the other can of beans in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add beans and meat to the slow cooker, and stir together.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Garnish bowls of chill with sour cream, shredded cheese, green onion and cilantro!