The first day of September screams fall to me, even though summer isn’t technically over yet! Walking into Starbucks this time of year means being bombarded with delicious scents of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin – and while I usually enjoy my Americano with a bit of cream, I can’t resist the temptation of the Pumpkin Spice Latte!
Have you read this recent post from Food Babe about the ingredients in a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte? It gave me some added incentive to create my own recipe to make at home!
This recipe is simple enough to make for yourself when you’re in a rush – and you won’t even have to wait in line at Starbucks to do it!
- ¾ cup milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup of espresso or up to 1 cup of strong coffee
- whipped cream and nutmeg (for garnish)
- Brew espresso or coffee.
- In a saucepan over medium heat whisk together milk, brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and spice.
- When mixture is steaming (not quite boiling), pour over coffee.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired.